Sunday, September 6, 2009

Across the "color line:"

I have to admit that I still bristle when I am met with yet another person telling me that racism no longer exists. That all people have had to struggle because of something and that African Americans just need to "get over it." Although people do their best to sugarcoat this sentiment--I hear it's many forms OFTEN.

As the white Mother of black/biracial children, I feel that I am in a unique position to tell people that (hold onto your seats people), "Racism still exists!" "Gasp!" I would agree that the mass hosings and large scale public demonstrations against people of color are hard to come by these days, but their subtle younger siblings walk amongst us every day.

I know what it is like because I was once one of you. I walked around in my life with the obliviousness of white privilege and never even knew I had it. Much like good Mothering, white privilege is something you only notice when it is gone. With my white boyfriends we were always addressed as "Sir" and "Ma'am" when out shopping or at a restaurant. Now, my husband can be called, "Man" and I sometimes don't get acknowledged at all.

I guess the biggest difference is there now is the question. Whenever we are slighted at a restaurant, is the waitress having a bad day? Or does she have a problem with our races? The same holds true with our children. If the teacher says my son is disruptive in class--is her opinion biased? I now have to ask that question--and parent accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment